- Chipotle Ketchup:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chipotle in adobo paste, pureed
- 2 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 slices bacon, 4 slices fine chop
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin, half a scant palmful
- ½ tablespoon ground coriander, half a palmful
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika, a scant palmful
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 4 slices smoked cheddar or sharp cheddar
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 crusty burger rolls, split and toasted
- Lettuce and red onions
Place ketchup ingredients in small pot and simmer 20 minutes over low heat to thicken. Bake 8 slices of bacon on slotted pan to crisp in hot oven at 375.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in skillet, add bacon and crisp then remove to paper towel lined plate to drain, leave 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Cook onions, jalapenos and garlic in pan and cook to soften 7-8 minutes, cool. Place meat in bowl, add bacon, cooled onions and jalapenos, cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Form 4 patties and cook in skillet over medium high heat 8-12 minutes turning once for medium to well done. Melt cheeses over top last minute or 2 – 1 slice of each.
Place burgers on buns, top with bacon, lettuce, onions, chipotle ketchup.