- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chili peppers, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 cup lager beer, at room temperature
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Franks® RedHot®
- 4 burger rolls, toasted
- Toppings: crushed Fritos corn chips, pickled jalapeño rings and sweet red pepper relish
In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel to drain. Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until browned, stirring with a spoon to crumble it; season with a little salt and black pepper. Return the cooked bacon to the pan and add the onion, chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
In a medium size bowl, stir together the beer, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and hot sauce. Pour the mixture over the meat; lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until ready to serve.
Using a large ice cream scoop, spoon the Sloppy José mixture onto the roll bottoms. Layer with the crushed corn chips, pickled jalapeños, red pepper relish and roll tops.