- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 large ears corn, shucked
- 3 dried limes, soaked in hot water to cover for 15 minutes
- 6 cups chicken stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground and steeped in 1 tablespoon hot water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat and cook the onions for about 10 minutes, until they start to brown. Add the turmeric and corn. Pierce the limes with a knife or fork and add them to the pot along with their soaking water. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until the corn is just tender.
Squeeze the limes against the side of the pot with a long spoon to extract their concentrated flavor before removing them from the soup. Blend half of the soup in a blender, then return it to the pot. Add the saffron and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice, to taste, and serve.