- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (6 ounces each), pounded thin, or 4 fillets of sole
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1-tablespoon slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 lemon, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 4 brioche rolls, split and toasted
- Arugula, diced tomato and finely chopped onion, for topping
Season the chicken (or fish) on both sides. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder (or granulated garlic) and paprika. Roll the butter in the flour and reserve.
Beat the eggs with the cheese and juice of 1/2 lemon.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Dredge two pieces of the chicken (or fish) in the flour, then coat in the egg batter and sauté until golden, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; repeat.
Add the minced garlic to the pan. Stir for 1 minute, then deglaze with the wine (or stock). Add the flour-coated butter; whisk to form a sauce.
Place the chicken (or fish) on toasted bun bottoms. Cut the remaining 1/2 lemon into wedges and squeeze over top. Add the sauce, arugula, tomato, onion and bun top.