- 2 butternut squash
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 12 slices bacon, divided (omit for a vegetarian-friendly option)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced or 1/2 red onion, chopped or thinly sliced
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Halve the squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and drizzle with EVOO. Season with salt, pepper and a little fresh nutmeg. Roast to just tender, 30-35 minutes. Remove and cool to handle.
Reduce the oven heat to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted pan and bake to crisp. Remove and chop.
Carefully scoop the flesh of the squash into a bowl, keeping the skins intact. Mash the squash flesh with 1 cup of the cheddar, 1 cup of the Parmigiano Reggiano, all of the ricotta and the thyme, sage and half of the bacon. Adjust the seasonings and stuff the shells with the mashed squash. Top with a sprinkle of the remaining cheddar and Parmigiano Reggiano and bake to golden on top.
Garnish with scallions or red onions and the remaining bacon bits.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, visit