- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (1/3 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- A handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 package refrigerated biscuits in tube, found on dairy aisle
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Reserve 2 cups of the stock for the vegetables. Cut the tenders into thirds. Bring the remaining stock to a boil in a skillet; add the chicken and cover and reduce the heat to simmer. Poach the chicken, 6-8 minutes.
While the chicken cooks, in a second large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add the EVOO, one turn of the pan and the butter. To the melted butter, add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms, adding the veggies to the pan as you chop them. Add the bay leaf and season the veggies with thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Whisk in the reserved 2 cups of stock, forming a sauce around the veggies. Stir in the cooked chicken pieces, parsley and peas.
Transfer the mixture to a large casserole, oval or rectangular. Open the biscuits and arrange them, edges touching, in a layer across the top of the casserole. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown, then serve.