- 2 tablespoons golden raisins (a palmful)
- 1 navel orange, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 bulbs fresh fennel, trimmed of tops and fronds, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium head raddichio, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- A handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 handful pine nuts (3 tablespoons), toasted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), to coat
- Coarse salt and black pepper
Place the raisins in a small dish. Cover with the juice of the orange and 2-3 tablespoons hot water. Plump and soften the raisins for 5 minutes.
Combine the fennel, raddichio, scallions and parsley in a bowl. Add the plumped raisins in juice and the pine nuts to the salad and toss with balsamic vinegar and EVOO (three turns around the bowl in a slow stream) to lightly coat the slaw. Season the salad with coarse salt and pepper, to taste.