- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound ground beef sirloin or chuck
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage or fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red or or white wine
- 2 cans San Marzano tomatoes (28-32 ounces each) – look for DOP on the label
- 1 cup beef stock or veal stock
- 1 pound regular or whole grain ziti rigate
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmagiano Reggiano cheese
In a large Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Add the rosemary and garlic and stir a couple of minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Ladle out about a cup of the starchy cooking water and add it to the sauce. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce, tossing with tongs for 1-2 minutes for the flavors to absorb.
Serve with cheese.