- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion (half a palmful)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper, cayenne or espelette
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, such as DuFour brand, defrosted
- Sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- Red pepper jelly
- Warm marinara sauce
- Dijon or whole grain mustard
Season the pork or turkey liberally with Kosher salt and combine with the wine, fennel seed, onion, garlic, coriander, red pepper, black pepper, sage, thyme and a drizzle of EVOO. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Note: Store-bought bulk Italian sausage can be substituted for homemade.
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
Working on a parchment paper, roll out one defrosted puff pastry and mound the sausage down the middle. Cut strips about 1 inch wide on either side of the sausage and crisscross the dough as you pull it over the sausage, resulting in a mummy-like appearance. Transfer the roll to a parchment-lined metal rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
Beat an egg with a splash of water; brush the dough and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the sausage mummy 35-40 minutes until deep golden and cooked through. Cool to room temperature to slice.
Serve with a choice of condiments.