For the marinade:
- 2 shots Worcestershire sauce
- 2 shots whiskey or bourbon
- 2 shots hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
- 2 shots cider vinegar
- 24 chicken leg drummers (about 3 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shots whiskey
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Chopped or sliced scallions
- Carrot and celery sticks
Mix the marinade ingredients in a large, resealable plastic bag. Season the drummers with salt and pepper and add them to the marinade. Refrigerate for 3 hours, then bring to room temperature.
Pre-heat the smoker/oven to 300°F
Arrange a wire rack over a baking sheet. Arrange the drummers on the rack and slow-cook for about an hour and 15 minutes.
For the sauce, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, swirl for 2 minutes, then add the whiskey, Worcestershire (if using), hot sauce and pepper. Drop the heat to low and simmer to thicken, about 10-15 minutes.
Toss the drummers with sauce and top with the scallions. Serve with carrot and celery sticks alongside.