- 1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds lean ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 pound spinach, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 kosher dill pickles, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain.
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a high-sided skillet and add the beef. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown it, 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, celery and bay leaf. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
While the veggies cook, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and lots of pepper. Thicken the gravy a bit, 2 minutes, then add the gravy to the meat and vegetables and stir the peas into the stew. Reduce the heat to low and simmer.
Combine the shallot with the
Toss the egg noodles with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits, and the dill.
Serve the stew on top of the egg noodles in shallow bowls. Pass the salad at the table before or serve along with stew.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.