- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 1 can stewed, fire-roasted or crushed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 sack whole grain tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 3/4 pound Maytag Blue cheese, crumbled
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
Place a large pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add the ground chicken and break it up, lightly browning it for 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, paprika and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 7-8 minutes. Add the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
Add the hot sauce, tomato sauce and the stewed, fire-roasted or crushed tomatoes to the chili and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 8-10 minutes more to let the flavors come together.
While the chili is simmering, pre-heat the broiler.
Spread the chips out on a cookie sheet. Top with the crumbled blue cheese and transfer to the oven to melt the cheese, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Top each serving of Buffalo Chicken Chili with a few blue cheese chips.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.