- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5-6 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
- 3-4 medium size carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can red beans (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken cutlets, chopped
- 2 cups parmesan pita chips, for garnish
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a handful)
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the EVOO. Add celery, carrots, onion and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables to make tender, 8-10 minutes.
Add stock, tomato sauce, beans and chickpeas, then bring soup to a boil. Stir penne into soup, cook a minute or so then stir in chicken and simmer 5-6 minutes more.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with some parmesan pita chips and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.