- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5-6 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
- 3-4 medium size carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (28 ounces each)
- 1 cup corn, frozen or freshly scraped from the cob
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken cutlets, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups blue or red corn tortilla chips, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the EVOO. Add celery, carrots, onion and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables to make tender, 8-10 minutes.
Add stock, stewed tomatoes, corn and black beans, then bring soup to a boil. Stir in orzo pasta, stir in chicken 3 minutes later and cook 5-6 minutes more.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sliced scallions and tortilla chips. Serve with lime wedges to add a zip.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.