- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, 2 generous handfuls
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaves, a handful
- 5 to 6 sprigs thyme leaves, stripped from stems
- 2 cloves garlic, popped from skin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1/3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 strip steaks, 10 to 12 ounces each
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Grill seasoning, (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
Preheat a grill pan or indoor/outdoor grill to high.
For the first sauce, place all the herbs and garlic in food processor and pulse-chop to a fine mince. Scrape into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil and let stand.
Heat a small pot with extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) over medium heat. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook 1 minute. Add hot sauce, Worcestershire pepper and tomato sauce. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.
Let steaks rest a bit to take the chill off. Drizzle EVOO over the steaks and season them lightly with steak seasoning. Grill meat on screaming hot grill 3 to 4 minutes on side one, 2 to 3 on side 2 for medium rare doneness. Go a minute longer on each side for medium to medium well doneness.
Serve steaks with 2 sauces and big mussels.